Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My Personal Retreat

My husband recently booked a night for me at a guest house nearby for me to have a personal spiritual retreat before the baby comes. I learned a lot, and I wanted to share some of it with you. He wrote out most of the dimensions of my life, and I researched each of those roles and what the Bible says about each of them. (Though it may seem time-consuming, I would strongly encourage you to look up the verses below any category in which you feel you could improve.) Then, for each dimension, I VERY briefly summarized what it practically looks like to live that out in my life. Here's what I got:


Being a woman:
-I just took Proverbs 31 verse by verse, and asked how what she did has to do with me today. If you have never done this, I would strongly urge you to do so!
-Work diligently for my own spiritual life, for my family, and for others; use my talents for God's glory; take care o myself so that I can take care of others.


Being a mother:
- Deuteronomy 6:5-9
-Psalm 127:3
-Proverbs 22:6
-Colossians 3:21
-Lead my children in the ways of the Lord; discipline well; teach well; prepare well.


Being a wife:
-Colossians 3:18-19
-Ephesians 5:22-24
-Ephesians 5:33
-Genesis 2:24
-Mark 10:9
-Proverbs 19:14
-Proverbs 18:22
-Proverbs 12:4
-Love and serve my husband; look out for his best interests; respect and honor him; work with him as his partner.


Being a believer:
-Romans 12:1
-Romans 12:2
-Colossians 3:5
-Philippians 4:8
-Matthew 6:31-34
-Ephesians 6:10, 13
-Live as a sacrifice to God; always focus on the things worthy of praise; trust God with everything.


Being a teammate/colleague:
-Ephesians 4:32
-Ephesians 4:1-3
-Galatians 6:1-5
-1 John 1:7
-Have patience; show grace; work together, yet be okay with having separate roles and tasks.


Being an employee:
-Luke 16:10
-Ephesians 6:5
-Matthew 25:23
-Colossians 3:22-24
-Be faithful with what is entrusted to me; serve as though serving God.


Being an active church member:
-Hebrews 13:18
-1 Corinthians 3:9
-1 Corinthians 12:4-6
-Acts 2:45-46
-Philippians 1:3-7
-Pray for our churches; love them; partner with them for all of the tasks before each of us.


To unbelievers:
-Ephesians 4:25
-Romans 15:1-2
-Romans 1:16
-1 Corinthians 1:17
-Matthew 28:18-20
-Matthew 5:16
-Show hospitality; speak truth; be bold in sharing; let the light of Christ shine through me to others.


Being a daughter:
-Colossians 3:20
-Deuteronomy 5:16
-Proverbs 10:1
-Honor and respect my parents.


Being a sister/friend:
-1 Corinthians 13:4-8
-Proverbs 17:17
-Love always; be there for those whom God has specially placed in my life.





No comments:

Post a Comment