Saturday, July 26, 2014

From the Mouths of Babes

I was thinking yesterday of all of the cute things that Corinth says. And then all of the things Corinth says that really sometimes get under my skin because she says them 83 times in a row. And then I realized that I cherish hearing those things, even the things that, at the time, are somewhat... annoying. (There, I said it!) I know one day, I will WANT to hear them again and I won't get to. So, for now, I'm letting you in on some of the words I hear ALL the time that I love and cherish. They're not really out of the ordinary for toddlers, I just think they're sweet. These are from Corinth, my sweet, sassy, 2 year old!


"Good mowning!" I hear this every day, and I just think it's so cute that she's so perky when she wakes up.


"I wake up!" She says this after naps. I love it because she's so innocently excited about what she gets to do next.


"Mys" I want mys water. That mys toy. Cut mys food please, Mommy. Whatever it is, it's mys. I know that's totally normal, but I still think it's cute!  


"Taward." (tired) I not taward! You taward, Mommy? (Yes, sweet girl, I am!)


"Moke." (milk) Mommy, I have some moke please? Mommy, is that moke coffee? One time, I asked her if she wanted some cold coffee, and she said no. The next day, I asked her if she wanted some of my drink, but didn't tell her it was cold coffee. She tried it, spit it out, and said very seriously, "Mommy, I only like moke and wawer. MOKE AND WAWER."


"Play with me!" I love the imaginations of small children! Even though she wears me out, I love that she wants to play with me all day. I hope she still does years from now!


"Mommy look! Mommy look!" (Always said twice.) I love that EVERYTHING is exciting to her, no matter how big or small, special or normal in our eyes. The world is more fun with her around to point great things out to me.


"Bacack." (backpack) I wear my bacack to school, Mommy? Mommy, you have bacack? Noah sitting in bacack? It's just so cute!


"It's okay, Kathy." It's no secret that I struggle with living here because so many things are so uncomfortable to me. Kyle often has to tell me that's it's okay. Well, Corinth also picked it up. Yesterday, something on our porch fell over and made a loud sound. Corinth and I both looked over, and then she turned back to me and said, "It's okay, Kathy." While I do not like when she calls me by my first name, it is sweet that she cares for my feelings and my fears. God allows my little girl to calm me down many times and in many ways.


"Cause dem ears so big!" We have LOTS of monkeys where we live. I don't mean in the country we live in, nor in the city we live in. I mean on our street, on our porch bars, where we LIVE. One time, a monkey came into my neighbor's apartment while we were having chai, and another time, a monkey almost got onto the elevator with me. Anyway, we have, from the beginning, told Corinth that monkeys are bad because they really are. They are very aggressive and very dangerous. We have had monkeys come at us several times and every time (especially with 2 small children) it is terrifying. For that reason, we have told her that monkeys are bad and to stay away from them. But, when we sit on our porch (bars around it so monkeys can't get inside our house), we watch the monkeys and the babies are just so cute! They have tiny little bodies with really big ears. So, Corinth and I decided that we like monkeys, but only the little ones. One day, she said, "Mommy, I like the baby monkeys!" I asked why, to which she responded, "cause dem ears so big!" Now, we often talk about how babies monkeys are cute because dem ears so big.


"I love you." She says it a lot, and it never, ever gets old. A lot of times I don't feel like a "mom." (Insert vision of high-wasted, bleached jeans and a perm, kinda like my generation's moms during our childhood years. :-) ) But, when she says so sweetly, "I love you," it melts my heart like nothing else can. If you are a mom, you totally get the depth of this statement. If you aren't, I hope you get to experience this one day. It is awesome!


Cherish your kids. Cherish the kids who's lives you impact. Love them all!





No comments:

Post a Comment