Thursday, February 2, 2017

The 50 States of 'Murica

Well, my goal was to do a blog a week. So, now that it's February, I guess I should get started with the year! 😛
 
Before we headed back to America, I wrote the tourism office of all of the 50 states of America, explaining that we live abroad and I was hoping to teach my kids a bit about America while we were stateside, and would love any fun stuff they could send us. We got lots of great responses. I also let them know that I'd write about what they sent, so here we go!
 
P.S. Get excited about a guest blogger coming soon! (I'm excited!)
 
All of these states sent us maps, magazines of tourist destinations, and/or brochures about state parks:
 
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Delaware
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New York
  • North Dakota
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennsylvania
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
On top of that, these awesome states went above and beyond with some extra goodies! (Starting top left in the picture)
 
  • Kansas- Good job Sunflower state! Fun things for my kiddos, including a series of 'Fun Facts' pamphlets, Fun Folder, 2 coloring books with crayons, and a package of sunflower seeds.
  • Delaware- Someone put extra effort into printing out the kid-friendly info for their state and put it into a fun packet for easy-reading.
  • New York- Activity Book, Trivia Book, bumper sticker, and 2 I<3NY buttons. Score!!!
  • North Dakota- Fun poster that looks like a license plate.
  • Mississippi- Postcards. Corinth and Noah will love sending these to friends!
  • Wyoming- Bookmarks from a bookmark program their state did- cute!
  • Maryland- A series of pamphlets on major historical events that happened in Maryland. Nicely done.
  • Missouri- More postcards they'll enjoy sending!
  • Wyoming- Fun, retro-style bumper stickers (one of which my husband claimed and put on his journal before the kids even got to see the goods).
  • Nebraska- Another fun postcard!
Last, but opposite of least, is the great state of my birthplace. And not just because it is my birthplace, but because they are genuinely awesome people (every citizen, actually!). Way to go
 
OKLAHOMA!!!
 
(Boomer!) Not only does Oklahoma obviously have awesome graphic designers, but they sent a bajillion pamphlets for fun stuff to do in Oklahoma! You should go, and say hi to all of my extended family while you're there!
 
 
Thank you to all of the states who participated. Go do fun things wherever you live- there is LOTS of world to see! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment