Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Life Without Fences

This entry is titled for the chapter in which the following quote is found. It is in the book A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael by Elisabeth Elliot. I finished reading this book last week, and it was fantastic. Amy Carmichael was a missionary to India in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Her life was such an example to others of how to live wholeheartedly for Christ. While the whole book was great, this short excerpt really stood out to me, and I wanted to share it with you. 

My vow. Whatsoever Thou sayest unto me, by Thy grace I will do it.
My constraint. Thy love, O Christ, my Lord.
My confidence. Thou are able to keep that which I have committed until Thee. 
My joy. To do Thy will, I God.
My discipline. That which I would not choose, but which Thy love appoints.
My prayer. Conform my will to Thine.
My motto. Love to live, live to love.
My portion. The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance. 

Teach us, good Lord, to serve Thee as Thou deservest; to give and not to count the cost; to fight and not to heed the wounds; to toil and not to seek for rest; to labor and not to ask for any reward save that of knowing that we do Thy will, O Lord our God.

My favorite line, and perhaps new life motto: Love to live, live to love. Thanks, Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment