Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Takeaways from Thailand

Our family recently took a wonderful vacation to Thailand. Summary- it was great! Here are a few snippets of our time there that I wanted to share!

-The first 10 days we were there, we spent time at a resort with Kyle's mom and dad, who met us there. It was AMAZING to be with them, and I wish it weren't only 10 days every year or year and a half. Anyway, after that, they went back to the good ole USA and we traveled to another city for some meetings. At those meetings, we caught up with lots of friends we've met since living here! I was talking with one of those friends, whom I greatly admire, about how the hardest thing about me living here is being away from family. People ask us a lot if we are coming back for another term, and our answer is "we'll see!" It's so hard for me to live away from our extended families, and some days I dream of what it would be like if we weren't on the exact opposite side of the world from them. People also ask us if we might move to another city. (Our city is known by many as being one of the hardest cities in the world to live in, and everyone likes to tell us how terrible our city is- even the ones who have never visited!) Anyway, I was telling my friend that if we live overseas, it will be in v-town. The main reason for not liking living here is that my family isn't here. Nor is my family in Delhi, Mumbai, Paris, London, or even Sacramento. My heart would still have that longing. Then, my friend (who actually lived in my city for 5 years!), in her great wisdom told me this: she longs for family while she's living in South Asia, and she longs for her South Asian family when she's back in the States. But she likes that 'tension' because it helps her always remember that this world is not her home, and we're never going to be settled until we're in heaven! I'm not quite there in "liking the tension," but I really appreciated her attitude and heart toward her calling here. Thanks, friend!

-While we were at the resort with my in-laws, the breakfasts were served buffet style. My 3 year old darling girl decided she wanted to carry her plate back to the table by herself and then promptly dropped it, contents spilling everywhere. We must not have been there long enough for me to relax yet, because that pushed my angry-mom button. I didn't say anything to my sweet girl, but I'm sure my face said enough. Another mom (of older children) whom I had yet to meet, came over with a broom and dustpan and cleaned up my daughter's mess for me while I was searching for napkins. I was so moved by that. It wasn't anything outstandingly abnormal- she just swept up a mess, which I'm sure she does quite often at home herself. But to this mom of 2 littles, it was huge. She loved a stranger and became a blessing the instant she saw the opportunity. As simple an act as that was, I think I will remember her lovingkindness for many years, and I hope I can love on others, especially moms, the way she loved on me that day! 

-While on vacation, we were on a country that worships Buddha. Despite the extreme beauty of Thailand, it's impossible to not still see the lostness of the people there. And that made my heart sad. Thailand is know as "the land of smiles," but the people there are still without hope. While we were at the resort, we went almost daily to a fresh fruit smoothie stand right next to our resort. Each day, I felt God leading me to share with the woman who runs the stand. Each day, I cowardly declined. Until the last day. I got up the nerve, and started the conversation. Turns out, others have shared with her, and she has a Bible, but wasn't very interested in talking about it. And that was okay. I know she has the opportunity to know, I know she's been told, and I know that I was (finally) faithful to what God wanted me to do. I say this to encourage you- you're never "on vacation" from God's commands for your life! As Lecrae says, go hard or go home! 

-Many of my female American friends who live overseas have organizations and activities that they are involved in to help women and to share the good news. I, also, train women monthly, using a Sanctity of Life curriculum. But, during our meetings one friend brought up (in a large group meeting) that not every woman's calling is to be involved in an organization or activity. Some women are called to stay at home- to run their household well, to love and support their husbands, and to love and train their kids. And for some women that is enough! Not that they don't want to do more (though that's sometimes true), but that God hasn't planned for them to do more. I also find so many women comparing themselves to other women when they live in totally different worlds! Different cities, different jobs, different numbers of kids, different ages of kids, different giftings- I could go on and on! The point is this- beseech God! Ask Him what HIS will for your life is, and do it with all your heart. And, then, have peace about it and joy throughout it. That's my goal, and I'd love prayer from you that I would be able to do that well during this season of my life!

-Thailand is amazing! It was my 2nd time to go, this time to the beachy south/east, and previously to the jungly north, and it's pretty much amazing everywhere! You should totally go! (And I'd love to go with you!) Here's our family photo from paradise!


No comments:

Post a Comment